Saturday, February 7, 2015

Delle's NICU Journey -- Week 1


Day 1:
Delle was extubated about 12 hours after she was born, which is amazing! 
She's on a high flow machine giving her room air through a nose cannula. 
She's on antibiotics since my uterus was infected and the umbilical cord looked pretty bad.
She is also on a daily dose of caffeine, it helps her to remember to breathe. 
Both Sean and I got to touch her tiny head for about 30 seconds, and two grandmas and a grandpa were able to see her. 













Day 2:
She's on 3.5 liters of air. 
They're doing her cares (diaper change, temperature check, and listen to her heart and tummy) every 6 hours.
They weigh her each night, and to do so they have to reset the bed. So I got to hold her for about 30 seconds while they did that. She is so tiny and has no fat, she's just bones.
She has been loving her pacifier! 
And she is tolerating breast milk! 










Day 3:
Down to 2lbs (not concerning).
They took one of her tummy tubes out today, the one in the umbilical cord artery. 
She is on 2 liters of air. 
She's eating 2ml of breast milk every 3 hours. 











Day 4:
Delle is getting 6ml of milk every 3 hours.
She graduated to a bigger pacifier.
She is down to 1.5 liters of air.









Day 5: 
She is up to 9ml of milk every 3 hours. 
She ended up not having to start light treatments because her jaundice level is going down on its own! It's down to 7.5, it was 8.3 a couple of days ago.
And she is up to 2lbs 2oz!






Day 6:
28 Weeks!
Today we were able to be there for her cares for the first time, and I got to change her diaper and check her temperature. It was super intimidating, she's SOO tiny! I feel like I forget everyday until I see her again. 
She is up to 11ml of milk every 3 hours.
And she is back up to her birth weight, 2lbs 3oz!











Day 7:
Today Sean got to do Delle's cares and I got to do skin to skin with her! I held her for just over an hour and a half and it was both amazing and terrifying. She is so tiny, even tinier holding her. But finally getting that bond with her had my heart feeling so full. It also left me feeling more guilty leaving her, I just want to hold her all day! 
She is now getting her cares every 3 hours.
She is up to 14ml of milk every 3 hours and is up to 2lbs 4oz.
And she is down to 1 liter of air.









No comments:

Post a Comment